POWER UP! The Adequate Conditions For Learning A Language Easily
|You are going to learn: Basic principles of preparing prosperous learning conditions.|
The main question is, how to establish a healthy mind-set as a basis for prosperous learning:
German-book.com A1 – Power up!
- Structure & Overview: Before you start studying, provide yourself with a summary of the complete volume! Then divide the contents up into parts. For example, flashcards (as in our book!) are a great learning tool to organize and memorize these elements. Set realistic goals (stages) and check over and over, whether you have reached them in the time you planned. Don’t lose sight of the real goal (e. g. a safe preparation of the examination/test)! Don’t try to learn new contents the day before an examination. Rather, remind yourself that you are well prepared, because you have adhered to your studying plan! Relax, I will help you with that!
- Take breaks: Don’t study ‟during the whole day” but pay attention to taking breaks in between the studying period. Never study longer than 50 minutes straight, otherwise you will overexert yourself! When memorizing vocabulary or simple sentence structures (as in our example) I would generally recommend the 20/20/20 Method: Learn 20 minutes – relax for 20 minutes and then repeat 20 minutes. Go through this process twice to three times per day! Reward yourself with movement, fresh air, and healthy snacks, meals and drinks during your short, studying breaks (see below)! At first, begin with the easy subjects, so that you can warm yourself up and prepare for the more difficult tasks! Don´t worry, the content of the book will show you how easy also more difficult matters will appear to you soon!
- Diet & Attitude: Pay attention to your health and posture! Does the studying subject bent or do you sit in front of it in an upright position? Generally pay attention: Low-fat foods, eat lots of fruit, vegetables, and whole-grain products. With these, the brain is supplied with the sufficient carbohydrates. In addition, these foods contain many of the necessary B vitamins. Drinking regularly: Water, mineral water, freshly squeezed fruit juices or tea. Avoid coffee or medicinal drugs!
- Quick workstation & quick studying time: Look at your workstation critically. This place should be primarily reserved for studying. Turn interference factors off and throw unnecessary stuff into the wastebasket. Find the optimal time of day for you to study! By studying with an eye on the clock, you also learn to assess your time!
- Concentration: Concentrate when studying on the essentials: Do what you do! Additionally, try to study once with background music and find ways to turn disturbing thoughts and influences off. You can try out the use of aroma lamps – enhancing concentration and creating an overall feeling of well-being. Concentrating on exercises, games, puzzles and diversion exercises can help you along.
- The law of reward: Reward yourself after reaching your goals and enjoy your success!
- German books: Of course German literature is a basis of acquiring the language. The supply is just as extensive as it is confusing. There is even, for example, the possibility of downloading literature classics from the net, which, purely theoretically is very practical of course, because it is free of charge. This is, however, only partially recommendable, since, although the used language is very poetic – it doesn’t comply with today’s modern language. If you aren’t a total literature freak, choose simpler literature texts. You can find online English books, such as e-Books and books in the classic book form. Choose based on your interests! We would like to recommend suitable books to readers: You can find numerous books, especially for learners of the language!
- German media: This is a method which is simple and promising to improve your German: Watching German television shows. Ask your local cable supplier for German channels. The purchase of a satellite dish with orientation towards a satellite which contains several German-speaking channels can also be a worthwhile solution. Which broadcasts are particularly helpful? There isn’t any clear answer to this question: Record broadcasts which correspond to your interests. In connection with this, the use of video can be very important, since you can watch the recordings repeatedly also at a later time. This method is recommended especially for advanced learners, but beginners can also develop a feeling for the German language in this way.
These preconditions should help you to follow your plan. In the following chapters I am going to offer you a basic concept of grammar – it is strongly advised to learn the German phrases by heart! They also contain valuable structures and forms of grammar. You will get the chance to learn hard facts intuitively.